A classic mother’s day ritual – brunch is a fantastic way to spoil mom, while spending quality time together. Inspired by our decadent perfume Immortelle l’Amour
: Generous portion of vanilla, maple and rooibos – try out these fragrant twists on quintessential brunch recipes, such as eggs benedict on waffles and other decadent yet nutritious embellishments. The following menu mingles the comforting yet sophisticated flavours of maple, vanilla and cinnamon along with briney, salty touches of sharp cheeses, sour apples, candied salmon, a touch saffron mayonnaise or a generous dollop of yoghurt hollandaise sauce.
Mother’s Day Brunch & Tea:
Eggs Benedict & Candied Salmon on Cinnamon Waffles
Baked Sour Apple
Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Tea served: Immortelle l’Amour tea
, or a rooibos espresso (recipe to follow). Rooibos Espresso:
Rooibos requires high heat (90-100c and prolonged steeping or even simmering). That's why it's safe to use it in a stovetop mokka machine or espresso machine, to get a heavnely, richly concentrated brew of this smooth, naturally sweet tea. To prepare your rooibos espresso simpley fill the espresso "funnel" with loose leaf plain (unflavoured) rooibos and prepare as you would any espresso. Serve as it is, or with a bit of milk of your choice (i.e.: whole milk or almond milk). For the Cinnamon Waffles:
4 Tbs grapeseed (or another non-GMO vegetable oil)
2 cups milk
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbs brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
- Separate the eggs.
- Whip the whites until soft peaks form.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar, oil and vanilla extract. Stir in the milk.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt).
- Carefully add the flour mixture into the egg yolk and milk mixture, one-third at a time.
- Fold the whipped egg whites into the rest of the batter you have just formed.
- Cook in a well-buttered waffle maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Note: The waffles can be prepared in advance and kept frozen; then toasted before serving. For the Eggs Benedict:
Prepare yoghurt hollandaise sauce
Poach eggs (1-2 per person). Brush the waffles with butter and top with slices of candied salmon. Place a paoched egg on top of the salmon, and spoon over the yoghurt hollandaise sauce. Serve immediately.
Another nice contrast to all this sweet and salty flavour is a baked Granny Smith apple (the only apples that still retain some flavour this season), or a baked rhubarb compote (prepare similarly my Rosy Rhubarb Crumble
- but without the crumble and rosewater. The berries are not mandatory either - unless they're already in season in your part of the world!).
Hope you enjoy this lovely Mother's Day brunch with your family!
And if the weather permits, go for a picnic and enjoy Mother Nature. More thoughts on that on the following post...