Pandan-flavoured gelato is a smooth, heavenly fragrant yet subtle way to not only enjoy this unique flavour; but also incorporate coconut milk into your diet, which will make your gelato even healthier than home-made gelato already is.
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cups raw cane sugar
1 Pandan leaf, cut into small pieces with scissors
1/2 tsp agar-agar powder (a seaweed alternative to gelatin)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium pot
- Cook over medium heat until it reaches a boil
- Remove from heat and bring down to room temperature
- Blitz the mixture in a food processor or a blender, until the pandan leaves are chopped into rather small pieces
- Refrigerate over night
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve, or through a cheesecloth, to strain out the ground-up pandan leaf
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Most homemade ice creams and gelato need to "ripen" for an hour or more to come to a more firm consistency without melting immediately.
- Serve alone, or along with fresh fruit or deep friend bananas.